During this 90-minute webinar, Mike Paget, M.Ed. explored Disruptive Behavior Disorders – Oppositional Defiant Disorder, Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder and Conduct Disorder and shares effective practices for working with students challenged by these disorders in the classroom. He discusses risk factors at school that add to or encourage a students to be disruptive including deviant peer groups, tolerance of bullying, poor attachment to school and inadequate behavior management.
Further, Mike exams each of the disorders – ODD, ADHD and CD – and connects the dots between the three. ODD is thoroughly explained, as well as the characteristics that must be present for a diagnosis. He also discusses accommodations for students with ADHD that educators can use in the classroom and reveals how to connect compassionately and honestly with students with ADHD. Finally, Conduct Disorder is defined and explore. Discover how educators can avoid power struggles and not take the behavior personally.
- Know the risk factor and symptoms of ODD, ADHD and CD
- Discover classroom accommodations and straggles for dealing with Disruptive Behavior Disorders
- Gain strategies for de-escalating confrontational situations in your classroom
- Learn what approaches to avoid
- Learn to use approaches such as brevity, listening, using a neutral tone of voice as well as honesty and humor
- Discover how to build self-management in resistant students through strength coaching, generosity and re-framing
About the Presenter
Mike Paget, M.Ed. works as a consultant to schools throughout North America to help them better teach challenging students. He is an innovator of effective approaches for working with students with severe emotional and behavioral problems. He has conducted keynote presentations and seminars across the U.S. and Canada on creative techniques for crisis intervention and managing classroom behavior. Mike spent 20 years working extensively with ODD, CD and other special needs.
AccuTrain’s WebRemix programs are 60- to 90-minute in-depth training sessions that were originally presented to a live audience via technology. Each course has been edited and enhanced to improve viewing experience, while retaining the character of the original live presentation.