When student interactions grow intense, it’s easy for an educator’s emotions to escalate – and to unconsciously move into fight-or-flight mode. The Responsibility-Centered Discipline™ approach promotes a paradigm shift in school discipline – with an emphasis on building positive teacher-student relationships and implementing a system that holds students accountable for their behavior. During this 90-minute webinar, Eric Clark, a Master Trainer who has implemented the principles of RCD as a teacher, assistant principal and principal, will illustrate how to build this valuable approach into your classroom or school and defuse explosive situations.
- The connection between student responsibility and school climate
- How relationship-building affects classroom management and academic performance
- The responsibility pyramid
- The three levels of compliance
- Using the Give ’em Five™ conversation
- Importance of emotional control in difficult situations
- How mastering challenging moments affects leadership
- Examples of mastering the challenging moments with
- Apathetic students
- Attention seekers
- Hostile students
When educators lose their self-control during challenging moments with students, they often become part of the problem – by empowering students to place blame on them. Modeling a calm, centered approach during intense times provides a great teaching moment! Following the principles of Responsibility-Centered Discipline forces students to become responsible for their own actions and to build solutions when they fail to meet classroom expectations!
During this webinar you will learn to:
- Employ the basic tenets of Responsibilty-Centered Discipline
- Build relationships with students based on the Responsibility Pyramid elements and 6 Keys to Creating a Responsible School
- Use the guided conversation – Give’Em Five Components – to manage challenging moments
- Coach students to own their behaviors and maintain emotional control
- Develop best practices for working with difficult students
- Recognize the three compliance levels
About the Presenter
Eric Clark, M. Ed. is a Certified Master Trainer for Responsibility-Centered Discipline and helped shape the implementation materials for the program. He most recently served as Head of School at a progressive private school in the Midwest. Previously he served as Principal in a public school setting, while also serving as the District Technology Integration Specialist.